Tuesday 3 February 2015

LITTLE DRESSES AND LITTLE STANDARDS


Growing up, there would be times when I wanted to feel like the food I was eating was going somewhere; I needed to feel that I was gaining a few kilos but the scale wouldn't grant me the much sought after wish. Consequently, I decided that whenever I wanted to feel like I had gained weight, I would jump into the clothes I used to wear 5 years ago. It pretty much seemed like the logical thing to do given the circumstances. And, to my delight, I would forcefully fit in those little dresses and I feel like I had put on a lot of weight! I enjoyed the euphoria so much that the deception went on and on...

Now, everyone would agree with me that, that was one hell of a gross deception but hey don't be too quick to judge because we are not very different...

Have you ever felt like you have done your best simply because your achievement was slightly higher than the others? Have you ever mourned a loss only to realize that your loss was actually a 'better' one? Truth is, we all have (most of us at least). But what is wrong with this attitude? Everything!

By comparing ourselves to low standards, we tend to feel like we have given the best and have this illusion of satisfaction. We tend to feel comfortable in our losses simply because many others got way below us. Students will feel good for getting 40% and topping the class not realizing that the percentage is not what can be called a distinction or merit.

In constantly tallying our lives to other people, living or of the past, we lower our standards and do not see the need of improvement. We are content in our failures because we have failed way better than others. Failing way better than others does not change the fact that it is a fail.

Sadly, this is what happens in our Christian lives. The fact that we don't drink or smoke like the other church-mate does not make us better Christians. Looking at the sins of others will always make us feel 'holier than thou', like Mr and Ms Goody-two-shoes and we won't see the need to grow. We will be content in our sins.

It is only when we look for a higher standard that we'll be constantly working and striving to be better. If my standard is 90%, getting 50%, regardless of whether am the 'best' in that course should not make me comfortable. Similarly, we should endeavor to make Christ our standard so that we look not on the faults of others and feel like 'holy' sinners, rather that by beholding His perfect character, we see and feel the need to grow into His stature.

It is possible, only if you let go of the little dresses in the closet! 

7 comments:

  1. Powerful! keep them coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insightful and very relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visually Powerful. Intellectually Elegant

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I dont know but it just sometimes is comforting to hold on to the 'little dresses' in times of little hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you mean but little dresses are always an illusion. keep trying to fit in the big dresses even when it doesnt seem to be working.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing! I absolutely love this article.

    ReplyDelete

We did it Joe!

  December 31, 2020. I was dragging my feet, trying to force a smile. The year had shown me flames but perhaps the weeks leading up to the...