Monday 18 June 2018

For My Good


Seated at home all day, studying… preparing for my mid-year exams starting the coming week. It is a chilly day, the day before my birthday. Trying to keep warm, and whilst trying not to be too comfortable, I grab my sister’s lab coat and continue studying.
Something moves me to stand up, and as I do, I am met by a reflection of myself in the mirror. In that instant, thoughts flood my mind. 7 years ago, I had dreams of going to medical school after completing my high school. Was I in med school now? Hell no. Instead, I had just graduated from law school and was sitting here preparing for my bar exams. Things changed along the way.
As I continue gazing at myself, I am a mix of emotions; regrets, longing and wondering where I would have been had life turned left. I guess there is no way of finding out now.
One thing I have learnt through it all is that my plans are not God plans: something I had read in the good book and probably packed at the back of mind or recited in church. However, little did I know that God had plans alright, plans that were not even remotely resembling mine. Little did I know that 7 years later, I would be seated here, typing this. In my righteous imagination, I thought that around this time of the year, I would be running from one ward to another, doing my student rounds, or what they call being “on-call!”
It really is so easy to share stuff from the good book when you are far-detached from the story, when it’s a mere recital to someone, without an ounce of empathy. It is totally a whole different story when the advice is repeated to you.
And so today, on the eve of my 24th birthday, I can safely say that I learned first-hand what it means to submit your plans to God, I learned first-hand what the Bible meant when it said “as the heaven are higher than the earth, so are my plans higher than yours.”
I can’t say I completely understand why it happened, neither can I completely say I’m happy with how it happened; however, the only thing I can say with certainty is that He couldn’t have brought me this far to leave me because somewhere in the good book, He said “I know the plans I think towards,… plans to prosper you.”
And so, He may have called me to give up my dream, and it hurt when He did, but I trust that ALL things are working for my good because what He promised, He is also able to perform.
On graduation, a good friend of mine sent me a message to say:
“Remember how hurt you were about not studying medicine, yet today you are graduating as the best student in law school. God had a plan!”
And so today, I remember that God had a plan, and He still does. I may not see it, I may not like it, but He still has a plan. And I would be damned if I didn’t believe that it has “for Madaliso’s good” written all over it!

6 comments:

  1. It's always a pleasure reading your writing. I always look forward to them even though I'm disappointed most of the time to find that you haven't written.
    Regrets are part of life they say and I agree with what you said in this Paragraph,
    " As I continue gazing at myself, I am a mix of emotions; regrets, longing and wondering where I would have been had life turned left. I guess there is no way of finding out now." But the question which mostly bothers me is; how do I know know that I'm doing what I was called to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I’m so sorry for not being too consistent. Will work on that.

      Coming to your question, I think do something that gives you ultimate satisfaction and peace of mind. Take some time for quiet introspection. It’ll make sense

      Delete
    2. "Take some time for quiet introspection." thanks for this clue. 😁

      Delete
  2. Wow, I totally love this read. Been encouraged all the way through it. Indeed he has it written for "Noi's good all over. " Thank you Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in my 3rd year in law school, just like you I grew up dreaming of becoming a doctor but like you said God has a plan for each and every one of us. Thanks to you, i now know most certainly that all things are working for my good. Thank you Madaliso

    ReplyDelete

We did it Joe!

  December 31, 2020. I was dragging my feet, trying to force a smile. The year had shown me flames but perhaps the weeks leading up to the...