Monday 18 June 2018

The Stones That Built Me


So today, I went down to a place I had never been in 6 years… As I walked past the familiar roads, memories of how I got there in the first place flooded my mind. It was almost hard to believe that I had grown so much…  A lot had happened in the past 6 years, so much that I could barely recognise myself… But all this nostalgia just reminded of one thing: every stone I get is building a monument.
So I remember the toils, the stress in primary school. I remember being the nerd with a short temper, I remember exchanging one or two punches with some kid who thought I could be a push-over, I remember crying for certain things, not being content about other things… I remember the joys too, the good grades and everyone knowing my name… every stone is building a monument.
Fast-forward into secondary school; a place of growth and identity, meeting new friends and reigniting old friendships. It’s so painful to think that those few years not only shaped my character but determined my life path… as dismal as it may appear to be, every stone is building a monument…
2017, almost wrapping up my university tenure, uneasy about life, wondering if I served my purpose in the past four years, wondering whether am battling with regret or satisfaction, I just want it to matter that I lived!
Looking back, a few years from now, I’ll definitely see a pattern, a plan, and I’ll realize that some of the failed dreams, some of the life experiences, the people I met, the sorrows were all simply but building blocks for a monument. And one day, when I become the Madaliso God intended me to be, I’ll look back and realize that indeed ALL things work together for good, because every stone was building a monument.

1 comment:

  1. Every stone is building a monument indeed. Present failures and successes make such colorful mosaic future if you handle them carefully. As Steve Jobs said, "you can only connect the dots looking backwards."
    Gratitude for this piece.

    ReplyDelete

We did it Joe!

  December 31, 2020. I was dragging my feet, trying to force a smile. The year had shown me flames but perhaps the weeks leading up to the...