Thursday 27 September 2018

I Fell For A Douche


I walked into a room full of tall people, light people, dark people, shorter people… great characters, bad characters… in the midst of this varied choice, I set my eyes on fire… the blue and orange looked good, I was pulled to it. It never hesitated but proceeded to reciprocate. Unrequited love? Nope. Here it was, ever loving, ever giving, I was warmed in.
It spoke the right words, did the right things. I felt giddy; a little over the moon. It was fire and ice (umm literally).
Random acts of kindness? Check. You need attention? Check. Before I finished my sentences, it delivered. I felt like a princess, scratch that, a queen. My king was in charge and I loved it.
But I was just an experiment, another one of his escapades. It was easy because I was naïve. He knew what cards to play and how to play them. All hearts? Yep.
Broke down most of my walls and I was getting ready to finally give in. I mean, how often do you find the looks, the books, the nooks in one? In crooks of course, but hey God had blessed (more like the devil, but who cared?)
The voice of reason? Hushed! Sixth sense? Silenced! Significant others? Well… do you really understand what it is like to fall in love? I respect you but can you at least let me be happy?
God sensed it and was like no, this one must be saved for a gentleman. So, Son and Holy Spirit, it is show time!
I resisted, fought hard and hushed the throbbing on my heart. Spirit was speaking but I didn’t want to listen.
Slideshow? Yes. That seemed to work. Smart move, God. So He was like okay fine, I understand you are in love (with a sarcastic chuckle) but hey, how well do you know this guy? You don’t need to answer that, I’ll show you.
I sat for 90 minutes reviewing my little fire’s life history, present and future. What? Yes!
“Do not give in, my dear. I know he’s seemingly good but what I have in mind is way better. Don’t give in!”
“But if he’s so wrong, why does he feel so right?”
“Must we start talking about sin? Okay no, but you know your heart is deceitful and so you’ll naturally gravitate towards evil.”
“Okay then why are you taking so long to bring the so- called right one?”
“I knew this would come up… just let this go child, let him go.”
So I went to quench the fire, hoping he would just do that thing he does that makes me rethink my decisions and be like ‘I wasn’t free this Saturday but I guess we could go…’ but I had to let go no matter what and so to disturb my thoughts and prevent me from changing my mind, the Holy Spirit looked down.
Okay, okay, here goes. This fire was warm and all but I gotta let go. You are not right, this is not right.
Dumbfounded, he just walked away. Nope, he did not put up a fight. Like all douches, he was not ready for a challenge:
“She seems to know what she wants, I’m in no mood for that,” he must have thought to himself as he walked away.
Now I struggled to get him out of my hair. I badly wanted to text him and say I had played the fool.
It’s hard to let go when you fall for a douche. But, you must choose peace of mind over giddiness. Choose security over fiery impetus passions. Chemistry must be there, darn right it must be but don’t be blinded by feelings. Open your eyes, see the character before you decide to love.
Stay woke. Douches are all around us!


1 comment:

  1. I was expecting something like..

    "Then I realised I was just lost in a trance. I smiled with my mouth wide open in amusement of what I had just been thinking about then quickly, I stepped off"

    But no, the hard truth with no cracks in it.

    Nice piece!

    ReplyDelete

We did it Joe!

  December 31, 2020. I was dragging my feet, trying to force a smile. The year had shown me flames but perhaps the weeks leading up to the...